Monday 22 August 2016

Ramya reacts to the Pakistan controversy

Member of Parliament Ramya was recently in Pakistan for the SAARC Youth Summit. Upon her return, Ramya spoke about Pakistan's hospitality. This led to a backlash, both online and offline, what with people protesting against her and some people asking her to move to Pakistan. Certain people protested also because they believed that her statments were a rebuttal to Union Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar's comment that "going to Pakistan is like going to hell". Actor-politician Jaggesh was one among the few who is rumoured to have said that India doesn't need people like her.

Ramya explains the situation

I went there (Pakistan) for the SAARC Youth Summit. I spoke about peace, harmony and unity in diversity. When I got back, I was asked how Pakistan was and I said that the people there are just like us, and that we were treated very well. There was a lot of respect. In fact, when I landed in Pakistan, the airlines lost my bag. I landed there only with the Madhubani painting that I had carried as a gift for the Pakistan Speaker. When I went to buy some outfits, the shopkeeper was excited that I was from India, and got pastries and juice from the next shop. When I narrated this to the people at the summit, they exhanged similar tales. In fact, Pakistani politician Rashid Godil told me that when he went to a dhaba in Delhi, the owner refused to take any money citing that Pakistanis are special guests and that he was privileged to serve them. People genuinely want peace across the border and want to solve issues, which is why I was there. I stand by my statement that people in Pakistan are just like us and the media has misconstrued this whole thing. Before I left, I was quite apprehensive. Even the Maldives head said in the closing ceremony that when he was going to Pakistan, his son said 'Papa, please don't go.' Pakistanis themselves face terrorism. The only way we can resolve it is if we can step aside from the inciting violence and keep away from the petty trivial things, and join together to fight as one unit.

There was also a WhatsApp forward that being circulated that apparently read 'Had Ramya been born in Pakistan, she would have been married thrice and would have five children'. This is so petty. I met parliamentarians in Pakistan, who are young women of my age, who are married, have one husband and lead normal lives like us. The perceptions have to change and people have to look beyond these trivial things. "
Source:-TOI
Viewmore:-Punjab Mobile Number Database

No comments:

Post a Comment